Roughly following this plan, Geneva Academy reopened as Geneva College in 1822 with conditional grant funds made available from Trinity Church in New York City.
The school arose from negotiations between William Smith, who sought to establish a women's college, and Hobart College President Langdon C.
Stewardson, who sought to redirect Smith's philanthropy towards Hobart College.
Smith, however, was intent on establishing a coordinate, nonsectarian women's college, which, when realized, coincidentally gave Hobart access to new facilities and professors. James Carter and David Cook, to take charge of the school building and allow use by "any respectable teacher" until the trustees came to a decision and resumed their duties.
The two student bodies were educated separately in the early years, even though William Smith College was a department of Hobart College for organizational purposes until 1943. On December 8, 1817, due to some "differences of feeling," a meeting of the board of trustees was held and it was decided that the academy operations should be suspended. The first meeting after the suspension didn't take place until March 6, 1821, over four years later.
) in New York state's Finger Lakes region in Geneva, New York, United States.
They trace their origins to Geneva Academy established in 1797.
Hobart College (men) and William Smith College (women) are both liberal arts colleges offering the degrees of Bachelor of Arts, bachelor of science and master of arts in teaching.
Hobart and William Smith Colleges, private colleges located in Geneva, New York, began on the western frontier as the Geneva Academy.
After some setbacks and disagreement among trustees, the Academy suspended operations in 1817.
By the time Bishop John Henry Hobart, of the Episcopal Diocese of New York, first visited the city of Geneva in 1818, the doors of Geneva Academy had just closed.
Yet, Geneva was a bustling Upstate New York city on the main land and stage coach route to the West.